There are few areas of crime or dispute where computer forensics cannot be applied
Computer forensics or Digital Forensics is the practice of collecting, analysing and reporting on digital data in a way that is legally admissible. It can be used in the detection and prevention of crime and in any dispute where evidence is stored digitally. Computers may constitute a ‘scene of a crime’, for example with hacking or denial of service attacks or they may hold evidence in the form of emails, internet history, documents or other files relevant to crimes such as murder, kidnap, fraud and drug trafficking.
A computer forensic examination may reveal when a document first appeared on a computer, when it was last edited, when it was last saved or printed and which user carried out these actions. Computer forensics is used in a variety of cases: Intellectual Property theft, Industrial espionage, Employment disputes, Fraud investigations, Forgeries, Bankruptcy investigations, Inappropriate email and internet use in the work place, Regulatory compliance, Investigating a suspected cheating spouse, Knowing what your children do with their computers & smartphones.
It’s not at all like what you see on “CSI.” Performing a competent analysis can take days, weeks, or even months depending upon the subject, the condition and state of the hard drive, or the importance of the case. For that time period, the examiner is literally trying on the subject’s life, wearing it like a costume for eight or more hours a day. Everything someone likes, hates, is interested in, fantasizes about, or fetishes goes through his or her keyboard at one point or another. Think about every email message you’ve ever written…every chat you’ve ever typed…every website you’ve ever visited…every video you've ever watched...every phrase you’ve ever searched for online...every file you've ever deleted on your device.
Seriously…think about it. I’ll give you a moment.
Now think about me reading and seeing it all. That should scare you a little bit, and if it didn’t, you’re probably lying to yourself. It’s okay. Most people do.
As more and more users and business go mobile and utilize interconnected devices, computers are often at the center of incidents and investigations. Evidence for discussion in a court of law is often gathered thanks to the skills of digital forensic experts that can extract crucial data from electronic devices belonging to the affected parties.
On the other hand, determining the credibility of employees, faithfulness of a partner or knowing the wrong that your children might be involved in can help make informed positive decisions and changes in any setting, the old cliche "ignorance is bliss" can be clinged to you and your business's detriment.
SECURE DATA DISPOSAL
One example of an impressive data recovery effort is that of the remains of hard drives from the Columbia space shuttle disaster, which ultimately led to the recovery of experimental data. Six months after the shuttle came apart on atmospheric reentry, a damaged hard drive was found in a dry lakebed and delivered to data recovery specialists at Kroll Ontrack Inc. 99% of the data stored on the drive was recovered. It was delivered to the people who recovered the data from it looking like a melted down piece of slag and then damaged further during the recovery process — but recovery was a success.
You can't just throw away your data, consider Ghana, a digital dumping ground where locals extract data with US contracts worth $22 million dollars, credit card numbers and lots of personal information from western e-waste.
As modern hard drive and storage tecnologies evolve, old techniques of data disposal become obsolete. A comprehensive knowledge of the technology behind a storage medium is needed to effectively destroy its data. Creative Chili can securely erase all data and guarantee your data has been erased from any drives, including complex SSDs, in desktop/laptop computers with the most certified and globally recognized data erasure solution. In addition we can securely erase all data from iOS and Android smartphones, USB Drives, SD Cards, Flash Drives and Virtual Machines (VMware ESXi, Microsoft Hyper-V, Oracle Virtual Box and virtual hard disk formatted for VMDK, VHDX, VDI and OVF.)
ENTERPRISE ANTI - FRAUD/ ESPIONAGE SOLUTION
We provide an easy to use cyber security solution integrated into your network giving you visibility across your entire infrastructure revealing malicious activities such as Internet abuse, data sharing and harassment. This also allows you to isolate and respond to incidents or threats quickly and without user detection through a central administration tool. This allows you to quickly Detect, Identify, Analyze, Preserve and Report giving you the evidence to reveal the truth and protect your business.
- Only 20% of Data Loss is Due to Hacking!
- 80% of Data Loss is Due to Internal Threats Including Employee Actions!
- The average incident due to hacking pales in comparison to the loss due to internal security breach.
- DATA SECURITY IS NOT AN OPTION TO THINK ABOUT AT A LATER DATE!
WHAT IS THE COST ?
It depends, please click "Request Quote" to recieve an accurate estimate
It’s a lot like asking someone how much it costs to build a house. It involves a lot of factors. The more upfront information known about the scope of work, the tighter the estimate will be. In regard to digital forensics, ranges can be a couple thousand dollars to well over $10,000 with the typical analyses being somewhere in the $1,000 to $5,000 range, based upon factors involved.
Let’s explore some of the factors that affect digital forensics pricing. You’ll see that working with the ‘end in mind’ is key. However, don’t despair if you don’t know all the answers to the sample questions below when you call for digital forensic services. We can easily guide you through the process.
- How much does the investigation team already know about the fact pattern? In essence, does the matter have a NARROW focus? (ex. We need to see if a document has been altered after this date). Or a BROAD focus? (ex. We suspect somebody did something covert in the past year.)
- Names of the parties involved? (In order to assure a quick conflict check)
- What type of investigation is expected to be performed? (ie. discovery, investigative matters, etc.)
- What kind of activities are suspected? (ie. alteration, theft (ie. data/money), deletion, defamation, anti-forensics software installed, physical damage, etc.)
- Are there particular terms being sought?
- How many devices are involved? (Don’t forget – Virtualized systems are equivalent to another computer.)
- What types of devices are involved? (ie. Laptops, workstations, servers, mobile devices, tablets, cell phones, surveillance video or proprietary manufactured systems)
- Is there encryption and/or password protection installed?
- Are there multiple types of Operating Systems or virtual devices contained within the devices being analyzed? (ex. some devices have a Dual Boot OS with multiple OS versions or even different versions, such as MAC OS and Windows loaded.)
- How many users are utilizing the device(s)?
- What is the volume of activity that has occurred on the device(s)? Rarely used? Heavy usage?
- What type of output or report is required? (ie. a simple memo or finding; a report; an Expert report; Affidavit; Deposition attendance; Testimony at a hearing or trial?; etc.)
- How much data will need to be searched and analyzed? (ex. estimate in MB, GB, TB etc.)
- What is the deadline / timeframe that the analysis needs to be performed?
Digital Marketing Questionnaire
Please fill in this brief questionnaire, upload it and send it to us and we shall get back to you as soon as possible.
Note: Questionnaire not needed for Enterprise Protection or Secure Data Disposal